TAKTL has created a design and manufacturing company that balances the rich industrial history of the Pittsburgh region with the most sophisticated technology and innovation available today.
TAKTL® LLC is a Pittsburgh-based manufacturer of architectural facade panels and three-dimensional cast forms utilizing advanced Ultra High Performance Concrete (UHPC) technology. We are the first company to integrate the formulation, mold design, and automated manufacturing of UHPC to produce architectural elements of exceptional quality and performance. Our manufacturing process is designed as an automated, resource-efficient, scalable model that sources over 92% of its raw materials within a 500-mile radius of our factory.
Founded: Incorporated in 2010 as TAKTL LLC
Location: Pittsburgh metro area, Pennsylvania
Size: 240,000 square foot campus – manufacturing/research/office
Experience: 300+ projects | 100% project fulfillment
Range: Continental US, Hawaii, Alaska, Mexico, Canada
Sourcing: 92% of raw materials sourced within 500-mile radius
Certification: ASTM C1186 independently audited QMS program
Warranty: 20 Years Standard
Team The TAKTL team, now over 100 strong and growing, brings together thirty years of manufacturing experience, materials research, and innovative design. Our company is made up of material scientists, mechanical and ceramic engineers, industrial, textile and communication designers, architects, artists, writers, entrepreneurs and business administrative experts, and includes many individuals who have expertise in two or more of these fields. With substantial experience in domestic and international industry and practice, our approach is interdisciplinary and collaborative. Our breadth of experience continues to grow as we push design and innovation forward.
History TAKTL consistently grows based on the market and environmental demands and opportunities of our time. Intrigued by the potential of UHPC in urban furniture and exterior lighting, TAKTL started as a research and development project in the design studio at Forms + Surfaces, an international designer and manufacturer of architectural products and urban elements. Exploring UHPC technology, focusing in Europe, where much of the materials research in the field was centered, TAKTL’s team became excited about the potential of UHPC for architecture and infrastructure.
- 2010 Launch TAKTL started with a proprietary formulation utilizing local raw materials that are optimized for continuous casting and began to produce panels with a limited range of surface textures and profile geometries.
- 2011 – 2013 Research, Development, and Quality Certification TAKTL advanced the technology behind its manufacturing process and recruited top-notch talent to expand its interdisciplinary and innovative approach to creating architectural UHPC products. TAKTL achieved ASTM quality certification for our first full-scale production line in Pittsburgh, PA and realized the first phase of our plan.
- 2015 – 2016 Expansion and Automation TAKTL responded to increased demand and scaled up production by transforming a 200,000 square foot historic Westinghouse plant, originally built in the 1880’s, into a high tech, energy-efficient manufacturing facility. As part of this process, our design and manufacturing teams developed the next generation of TAKTL’s automated production line, dedicated tool and mold manufacturing plant, metal and wood fabrications shops, and an R&D laboratory.
- 2017 – 2018 High Performance Testing | Prefabricated Wall Assemblies Recognizing a greater need for resilient design and higher performing facades, TAKTL began to pursue the additional testing and certifications required to qualify for demanding facade applications that differentiate Architectural Ultra High Performance Concrete (A|UHPC®) from other facade materials and fully leverage its superior strength and durability for withstanding threats – high impact, ballistic, hurricane, and seismic. At the same time, we began collaborating with the ICC to develop a new acceptance criterion for UHPC composite panels (AC493). Having also recognized the emerging trend towards prefabricated wall assemblies and the advantages TAKTL has in meeting the timing, size, budget and collaborative design demands of these applications, we also started actively working on projects with unitized and prefabricated wall assemblies, expanding our expertise and push into new application areas.
- 2018 – 2019 Continued Expansion and Automation Building upon the knowledge gained from two years of high volume production, TAKTL’s equipment design, IT, and research teams began a sweeping upgrade and expansion of each step in the manufacturing process that included thirty separate initiatives: redesigned material handling equipment, a new casting delivery system, automated wash/dry stations, parallel coating lines, inline inkjet bar coding, additional CNC saws, automated belt fed conveyors and expanded water circulation and filtration.
- 2020 – The Future As a result of TAKTL’s high growth in its Pittsburgh facility, we are working on a second manufacturing plant to support the western US and Canadian markets with locally sourced and manufactured products. Reaffirming our commitment to research, design, and manufacturing, the TAKTL team is continuing to explore promising new materials, technologies, and applications, collaborating with architects, engineers, installing partners and research institutions to expand our capability and develop new products for the international architectural market.